Download the 2022 Dignity Alliance Massachusetts Annual Report (pdf). See full work group reports (pdf format) below.
Heard this week:
There’s a lot more that could and should be done to improve conditions in nursing homes, not the least of which is aggressive enforcement to protect residents and staff. Even if the Healey-Driscoll Administration resolves to substantially improve the quality and safety of nursing homes, Massachusetts should still strive to be a national leader in home and community-based supports and services! After all, if older adults don’t have to go into a nursing home, fewer people will suffer from the failures of the nursing home industry here and across the nation!
Richard Moore, Chair, DignityMA Legislative Workgroup, Commentary to Boston Globe editorial, Holding nursing homes accountable, while paying them fairly, *Boston Globe, November 18, 2023
“I wanted to take mental illnesses and emotional disorders out of the closet, to let people know it is all right to admit having a problem without the fear of being called crazy. If only we could consider mental illnesses as straightforwardly as we do physical illnesses, those affected could seek help and be treated in an open and effective way.”
Rosalynn Carter from her autobiography, Rosalynn Carter, first lady who championed mental health, dies at 96, Washington Post (free access), November 19, 2023
Dignity Alliance Massachusetts is dedicated to transformative change to ensure the dignity of older adults, people with disabilities, and their caregivers. We are committed to advancing new ways of providing long-term services, support, living options, and care, while respecting choice and self-determination. Through education, legislation, regulatory reform, and legal strategies, this mission will become reality throughout the Commonwealth.
As a grass-roots coalition of aging and disability service and advocacy organizations and supporters, Dignity Alliance Massachusetts works to secure fundamental changes.
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – AHRQ EPC Program Grand Rounds - Pain
- 2:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – A Conversation with M.T. Connolly
- 2:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – A Conversation with MT Connolly
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – AARP's 2023 LTSS State Scorecard: Data Insights to Advance a High-Performing, Equitable LTSS System
- 2:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – White House Office of Public Aging and Disability Communities Engagement Call
- 4:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – Growing Unmet Need for Housing for Older Adults
- 4:00 pm, November 30, 2023 – Housing America's Older Adults 2023
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm, December 1, 2023 – What Happened to the Nursing Workforce?
- 2:15 pm, December 1, 2023 – Can Affordable Housing Policies Reduce Health Disparities? Lessons from Chapter 40B in Massachusetts
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm, December 5, 2023 – Health Affairs Briefing: Global Lessons From COVID-19
- 12:00 pm, December 5, 2023 – The Long-Term Care Crisis—Why Few Can Afford to Grow Old in America
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, December 7, 2023 – Addressing the Direct Care Workforce Shortage: A Bipartisan Call to Action
- 2:00 pm, December 7, 2023 – Change the Incentives, Change the System: A Green House Medicaid Case Study
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm, December 11, 2023 – Medicare Reform: A Bipartisan Solution
- 2:00 pm, December 13, 2023 – CoGen@Work Workshop: Tapping the Talents of Multigenerational Teams
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, December 13, 2023 – Study Session: Disability Law Center
- 10:00 am, December 15, 2023 – Study Session – Briefing on “The Affordable Homes Act” (H 4138)
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, January 10, 2024 – Study Session: A Conversation with Dr. Lisa Iezzoni
Urgent Action Items
Visit the TAKE ACTION page for our current priorities.
In the News
Study Session: Nursing Homes Funnel Billions Through Companies with Little Scrutiny from Federal Government
Visit News and Views for more.
- The MA Senate released a report in response to COVID-19. Read more, including the DignityMA response, on the Policies page.
- Join our Work Groups.
- Learn to use and leverage Social Media at our workshops: Engaging Everyone: Creating Accessible, Powerful Social Media Content.