Download the DignityMA Response on Nursing Facility Care (pdf) to the Alzheimer’s Association National State Assessment on Dementia Policies, as submitted 9/30/22
The Alzheimer’s Association is assessing dementia policies nationally and DignityMA provided the attached report.
The following questions are answered by Dignity Alliance MA in the response document.
- Are quality care indicators used in the state’s long-term care system, including nursing facility care, assisted living facility care, home care, adult daycare, or any other service provided to people living with dementia?
- Does the licensure agency for nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, or other residential care facilities collect and report data related to the number of involuntary discharges or transfers that occur? If so, what is the requirement on the collection of data and does the data reflect that the person is living with dementia?
- Are critical incidents (incidents that result in death, or serious disability, injury or harm to the patient) required to be documented and reported to the licensure agency for nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, home care, adult daycare, or any other service provider for people living with dementia within 24 hours? If so, what are the requirements for reporting and how does the state determine critical incidents
- Are there any acuity-based staffing requirements or staffing ratios for nursing homes, assisted living facilities, adult daycare centers, Programs for All Inclusive Care (PACE), or any other congregate setting that serves people living with dementia? If so, what are the requirements and are they evidence-based?
- Are there any state policies limiting involuntary discharges or transfers due to dementia-specific behaviors (including court decisions when applicable)? Are there any appeals processes for individuals discharged or transferred from a nursing facility, assisted living facility or any other residential facility due to dementia-specific behaviors? If so, what are the requirements and process for appeal?
- Does the Medicaid long-term care program, through its contract with Managed Care Organizations or any other means, have any quality metrics related to the following, and what are the metrics and are they used to influence reimbursement rates?
- Additional Comments